Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By Ol Arky
Ol' Arky,

You don't have to use the same company to be able to phone, text, or email someone. We have Verizon phones and the game camera is on AT&T (not by choice, but there wasn't a Verizon camera).

Next dumb :wink: question... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Then why can't a trail camera do the same thing??????
It took AT&T three years to catch on to trail camera users not paying for data usage? What took them so long?
By LibbyLA
Ol' Arky,

It can. I think the problem here is the difference between texts and emails, not companies. I just don't see why a text to a phone is any different from the same text to an email address.
By Gforce
It took AT&T three years to catch on to trail camera users not paying for data usage? What took them so long?

They were paying for the data usage, it was part of the Messaging package feature.
Ol' Arky,

It can. I think the problem here is the difference between texts and emails, not companies. I just don't see why a text to a phone is any different from the same text to an email address.

The way text messages are handled are a throwback to the first days of computer networking. Text messages are sent with 7-bit ascii code instead of 8-bit binary code. All the keys on a keyboard can be coded into 7-bit ascii code. The original intent was to conserve space (and time when transferring text messages). It is really archaic and hopefully will someday be changed. The current form of text messaging should be dropped in favor of email and drop the distinction between cell phone messages and email. You just say where it is to go and it goes there! (pictures, video, and other type data files use 8-bit binary code) Pictures or video attached to a text message are first converted to 7-bit ascii then converted back by the receiving computer/cell phone.
Mike
By mattpatt
When texting protocol was developed it was meant as a way for the early engineers of cell phone as a way of communicating. Very little thought went into optimizing it because it was goon to be removed eventually and no one ever thought that someone would want to use it the way it's being used now or that it would become popular.
By Vanhalo
Had the same problem back a few years ago and it wasn't AT&T it was my email service provider... When the emails started back I got a bunch of um all at one time and not in the order the pictures were taken... I don't use email anymore to say the least... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am my own email service provider so I know I am not getting the emails as of 2/2. I can send test emails from my work account to the same address fine.

02/02/2014 06:13 PM EST

My camera may have powered down when the sun went down on 2/2 which is why I didnt pay much attention to the whole TXT is working but email is not issue. But now I see that I have been out of the loop on this.
Last edited by Vanhalo on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ol Arky
Had the same problem back a few years ago and it wasn't AT&T it was my email service provider... When the emails started back I got a bunch of um all at one time and not in the order the pictures were taken... I don't use email anymore to say the least... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am my own email service provider so I know I am not getting the emails as of 2/2. I can send test emails from my work account to the same address fine.

There are a couple a other threads on this subject and I think it's been decided that AT&T is no longer sending text to both email and phone... They will send to either or but not to both... :? :?
By Vanhalo

There are a couple a other threads on this subject and I think it's been decided that AT&T is no longer sending text to both email and phone... They will send to either or but not to both... :? :?

I would thnk the Trail Camera Manufactures would get together and take this case to AT&T. All the more reason for my wife to dump her iPhone on AT&T and go to Verizon.
By Roscoe

And from what I'm being told, the text to email only will eventually stop on these "pay as you go" plans we are on.
By Roscoe
I would thnk the Trail Camera Manufactures would get together and take this case to AT&T. All the more reason for my wife to dump her iPhone on AT&T and go to Verizon.

I would be willing to bet with the new generation of cell cams coming that the mfg are talking to the cellular providers.

Playing devils advocate....right now, if I'm an AT&T rep and I addressed this problem I would say, "You are paying $9.99/month for 1000 text...can your camera not still send you a 1000 text per month?" If you're on unlimited I'd say the same thing.

The good thing for us is that we will get another player in the market with Verizon it sounds like. So if their reception in our areas is good, we'll have a choice. Of course who's to say that they will allow text to email in the long run, if at all on similar pay as you go plans.
By LibbyLA
Ross,

We have a Verizon "share it" plan so we are hoping that we can just add a Verizon camera for $9.99/month (just like a tablet).

I talked to the AT&T sales guy that set me up with the SIM card last summer and he gave me a new SIM card, which I can activate if I need it. I'm going to do some testing this weekend (take the batteries out of the phone, run setup from scratch, try email only to an email account and my phone number as email, etc.).
By Roscoe
You should be able to add the line no problem. I would have done it with our AT&T family plan if I did already have 5 phones on it. Could've got the unlimited text just by adding the $9.99 line.

I'm hoping All the mfg's will utilize Verizon, so we can have choices. If Verizon offers a better signal at deercamp, I'd have no issue with going with them at all.
You should be able to add the line no problem. I would have done it with our AT&T family plan if I did already have 5 phones on it. Could've got the unlimited text just by adding the $9.99 line.

I'm hoping All the mfg's will utilize Verizon, so we can have choices. If Verizon offers a better signal at deercamp, I'd have no issue with going with them at all.

Man, I thought 3 phones on the family plan was the limit! my UM562 is on a gophone account costing $25 every 3 months. If a mms cam comes out that will use Band 17 (700Mhz) then you should get a connection that is better than 850Mhz. That is if AT&T has a license for that band in your area. That should also solve the email/mms problem.

Mike

Well got my cam up, running and set out yesterda[…]

Very active spot in a small patch of ancient apple[…]

Everyone: We are working hard to create this seri[…]

Looking good

very tall but not so wide. nice one.