Trail Camera Discussion of Manufactured Cameras.
By reaperman
Tonight while moving my cell camera to another location I took note of how much larger the physical size of the camera is vs other cameras. Of coarse the cameras overall size is built around the ability to take 12 batteries and not 8 due to the added power usage required to operate a cellular camera. It appears the trend these days for cellular camera operation is to power from a external battery. So what if a cell camera made to operate solely from an external source rather than internal batteries? How much smaller could the camera be made then? And would there even be a benefit or interest in a unit like this? Just thinking out loud.
By Anthony
I have had these same thoughts but how do you also cater to the segment of customers that want a single piece, like law enforcement that want simple turnkey deployment with out a battery box, cable, camera ...

I like your idea. But in my opinion the 12AA is primarily used as backup power for the real power source which is external. So, there is a benefit to having both internals and externals.

When the Lookout is used with our power pack, if the external battery goes dead (drops below the configured disconnect voltage to protect the battery from damage due to over discharge) power is cut to the camera. At this point the camera will run on internal batteries while the solar panel charges the battery back up to the configured reconnect voltage. Once the battery reaches the desired voltage power will be restored to the camera.
By Woody S
Since few of my camera locations would have cell service I have absolutely no interest in cellular trail cameras. Between the larger size and the antenna sticking up cellular cameras are much more visible and therefore more prone to theft or vandalism -- and I can imagine the antenna lasting about two seconds when a bear (or even a raccoon) began messing with the camera. As for me, I'll never pay the extra price to purchase a cellular trail camera; if some day that's all the makers produce I'll go back to nothing but homebrews.
By csb
True Woody. I thought the whole concept of Trail Cams was a means to scout for hunting and to get out into the wild. I could see the cell thing coming as a way to scout at your cabin 400 miles away. Then as things progressed I think the cell got popular for security? Think about it, White Flash--then IR--now Black Flash. Many say the WF scares the wildlife. Personally I've seen that happen very seldom, BUT it gives away the location of the cam. Most of us here use it for "Chasing Game". Just my two cents worth.
By Anthony
My buddy drives 2 hours each way twice a month to hunting property pulling trailer with 4 wheelers etc.

He spends $120 on gas a month. If a cellular camera would save him one month's trips it would pay for its cost for an entire year.

by using a cellular camera he is not riding in with an ATV, walking all over the place and leaving his scent essentially disturbing the place. Someone serious about hunting knows that not visiting your cameras in locations other than feed stations/salt licks is very important.

a cell camera monitoring an area with the ability to run year round without visiting except on a hunting morning, is a good investment for a serious hunter.

So, for one guy who says "I will never need a cellular camera" there are 5 more who can benefit not only monetarily but productively during hunting season.
By reaperman
Woody S wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 am Since few of my camera locations would have cell service I have absolutely no interest in cellular trail cameras. Between the larger size and the antenna sticking up cellular cameras are much more visible and therefore more prone to theft or vandalism -- and I can imagine the antenna lasting about two seconds when a bear (or even a raccoon) began messing with the camera. As for me, I'll never pay the extra price to purchase a cellular trail camera; if some day that's all the makers produce I'll go back to nothing but homebrews.
I only use trail cameras in my immediate area. Between myself, brothers property and a friend who owns the neighboring property we bought together totals 300 acres. I used to think I wouldn't have a need for a cell camera either, but never say never. Like any modern convenience, we get spoiled and somehow a luxury becomes a need.

As far as the size of a 12 battery camera goes, its really not that big compared to some of the D cell trail cameras that were the norm 10 years ago. Its just that things got a lot smaller. I'm sure a smaller unit could be produced but not profitable for a manufacturer to mass produce the proper ratios.
The Sandhill family

Yeah lots of them here in saskatchewan as well, sa[…]

Owl

great observation:)

First fawn

Yay!!!! Your a father. Congrats!

Marten & dead chick