If it aint related to one of the other forums, then this is the place for it !!! Enjoy!
By reaperman
I noticed the bark stripping off of some Box elder trees locally. I dont remember ever seeing this before this winter. It seems to be exclusive to Box elder trees. I dont know if its birds doing this or something other. I've always considered a Box elder tree a over-grown weed and a nuisance thats almost impossible to control. But I am curious why the bark is stripping on some branches. Ideas?
IMG_0908 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_0908 (768x1024).jpg (421.36 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
IMG_0909 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_0909 (768x1024).jpg (389.4 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
By reaperman
red sled wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:58 pm Interesting. Is the tree still alive ?
The trees appear to still be alive. Its winter here in Minn, so all of the leaves have been off since fall. Some trees have many branches with only one or two stripped, the rest are fine. Some trees are young with 1-2" diameter stripped branches. Others are large trees with a 8-10" diameter stripped branch.
By reaperman
Anthony wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:44 pm Lightening strike ?
It couldnt be lightning, the affected trees are scattered to far apart. I've noticed this same thing on trees a mile from my home as I drive down the road. The bark peeling seemed to start after it got real cold, below zero. I dont know if there was moisture under the bark and the cold temps froze moisture under the bark causing it to pull away and peel.
By Anthony
something Bill dug up online...

Thank you for the question. According to this Iowa Extension publication https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fores ... elder.html:
"The boxelder is a fast growing , wide spreading, short stemmed tree of irregular shape. It is of medium size and under favorable conditions it attains a height of 50 to 80 feet and a diameter of 24 inches. However, it is a rather short-lived tree, is quite brittle or fragile and is of little value. Because of its rapid growth on good soils, it has been planted frequently for shade and ornamental purposes in areas where other trees do not grow well. It is found over most of the eastern United States as far west as Montana, Utah and Arizona. In Iowa, it is found mostly on moist bottomlands and along streams except where it has been planted on higher land".
Based on this information, your tree may be nearing the end of its life span but you also note that the tree looks well. We can't tell you if there is a disease, pest, or environmental problem with your tree based on the provided information. As maple trees mature, some sloughing of bark is normal as the mature forms appear. Depending on the location and conditions your tree is growing in, it may have some lichen growing on it which isn't necessarily a problem either. If you value this tree in your landscape, have a certified arborist out to assess it. Here is a link to our publication that points out keys to successfully hiring a qualified person: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yar ... -arborist/
If you want to learn more about common problems of maple trees, see "What's Wrong with my Plant?" here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/
By reaperman
This time I found a entire tree de-barked yesterday. I sent the video to the Mn dnr for their input. I haven’t heard back yet, the reply email says they normally answer questions within 48 hrs. That’s probably in line with a “Mexican minute”. Anyway, I think the tree looks unique so I cut it down since it will die without bark anyway. I was able to get the entire tree home in one piece. It wasn’t easy to do and it wasn’t very close to my house either. Now I need to decide what to make out of it. I’m thinking it will look good in my basement.

By reaperman
Anthony wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:16 pm Eventually it will become fire starter.... :mrgreen:
Probably, or whatever stripped the bark will flourish in my basement and start eating the tongue and groove walls :roll:
By reaperman
The Mn dnr replied to my email today with the below assessment.

“We had a similar question from an individual in your area earlier this winter. The forester that covers the area said it is more than likely damage from squirrels. He said that all of our native squirrel species will do this, but it isn’t really known why they do. They suspect it is some kind of feeding activity or water-gathering attempt, but regardless it will likely kill those individual trees. You are correct that a porcupine is a potential culprit, and is usually on higher branches of larger trees”.
By Gforce
I don't know that I would buy that answer without investigating more. If you want to inquire more then you should ask this question on https://www.arboristsite.com if those people don't know nobody does. It's a place where if it's about a trees somebody has experience the problem. Where CHASINGAME is the number one site for game cam's, Arboristsite is the number one site for Arborist to hang out in. If it's about Chainsaws or tools for Arborist or anything about Trees, it's the place to get answers. In any case they would like to see this problem and seek answers if they don't already know what the problem is.
By reaperman
Gforce wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 am I don't know that I would buy that answer without investigating more. If you want to inquire more then you should ask this question on https://www.arboristsite.com if those people don't know nobody does. It's a place where if it's about a trees somebody has experience the problem. Where CHASINGAME is the number one site for game cam's, Arboristsite is the number one site for Arborist to hang out in. If it's about Chainsaws or tools for Arborist or anything about Trees, it's the place to get answers. In any case they would like to see this problem and seek answers if they don't already know what the problem is.
I was a bit skeptical with the answer myself. If it were squirrels it would be more common and probably take place every winter. I've been living in this woods for 25 years and this is the first time this has taken place. I never thought of arboristsite, I've been a user of that forum for over a dozen years or longer, just not recently. Thanks.
By reaperman
I decided to make a lamp from part of the tree, its pretty easy project. I have a bunch of antlers laying around my shed so I added a few. I haven't figured out what kind of lamp shade to use but I have a few ideas. You cant tell from the photo, but for now, I using one of my wifes bigger plastic flower pots upside down for the time being. I'm also using Philips Wiz multi color LED smart bulb. It allows you to choose different scenes or solid colors.
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 402 times
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 402 times

This Lookout camera finally went dead. It has ran[…]

A Perfect Example!

https://youtu.be/SvC3jAdSbpI

Nice shots. I hope you heal up quick.

They are tough animals, hopefully he makes it. I […]