Use this forum for the discussion of all things related to the use of cellular trail cameras. The discussion of different models/manufacturers, service providers, problems, tips & hints for ease of use are all welcome here.
By bigten10
can i buy a wireless cell cam and just use it as a regular camera in other words open package up and just throw it in woods like an old camera? also if i were too hook up to cellular and all that can i just have picture taken or video taken only sent to my email adress not to a phone? thanx. new to this cellular camera business.
By LibbyLA
In addition to what Anthony says, some brands don't send video at all and some brands only send video to the app, not to email, even though they do send pics to email. You'll want to find out exactly what the brand of cell camera you are interested in does.
By Anthony
Ridgetec is currently out of stock but a new shipment will be here on Tuesday. Both Ridgetec warehouse and our dealers are currently out of stock. shortages in supply due to COVID-19 are affecting many vendors in fact.
By Anthony
bigten10 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 am can i buy a wireless cell cam and just use it as a regular camera in other words open package up and just throw it in woods like an old camera? also if i were too hook up to cellular and all that can i just have picture taken or video taken only sent to my email adress not to a phone? thanx. new to this cellular camera business.
Bigten,

The Ridgetec cameras can operate in Photo and Video mode while operating in cellular mode. In each case you will receive a photo to the portal/app/email. what this means is that you can minimize costs and battery usage by limiting uploads to a photo for all events.

However in Photo mode you can request a higher resolution on demand (that replaces the smaller one you get on each event).

similarly in video mode, you can select any number of events and request a video clip from the camera. This is also on demand.

So... the camera sends a photo on each motion or time lapse event. Then the customer can choose how to spend his data bandwidth if he chooses to request a higher res photo and requests the video clip.

Keep in mind if you visit your camera, you can simply swap the SD card, and all original 12MP photos are on the SD card as well as the .MP4 video clips. You can take the sd card home and watch all the videos at zero cost (this is considered the cheapskate methodology :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

When the camera uploads a requested photo or video (on demand) this will consume more of your monthly allotted data plan. But it does mean that you are in control. you decide whether you want or need the additional better view of that photo or to watch that video.

As was pointed out many cameras will not allow the upload of a higher res photo on demand or a video clip on demand. some only supply small thumbnails and that is all you get. So during your research, you must attempt to compare apples to apples. Yes there is a lot to consider and it is not easy.

I can't speak for other vendors, but feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding Ridgetec.

yes plz supply images (you can upload directly her[…]

James Pearce from The New Forest UK

I’m James Pearce from The New Forest UK. I u[…]

Four Badgers

they look cute but you would probably lose a finge[…]

Lets find George

No, this is a common "male" issue I beli[…]